Wednesday, June 20, 2018

"I just wanted a little sun."


A couple of Sundays ago our St. Louis region was under a heat wave advisory. After returning from an early morning Mass, I changed clothes and went out to water the flowers before it got too hot.

I saw my neighbor whose back yard is just catty-corner from my own. Rita was sitting in the shade on her patio. I waved and she waved back. I've always liked and appreciated my friendship with Rita for her warmth, intelligence and her almost-92-years of life experience.

"Did you give up on the air conditioning?" I asked.

"No, I just wanted a little sun."

I wished her a nice day and got on with my watering. Working in the yard always provides an ambiance for thoughtful reflection.

How simple a thing, and how satisfying, this going out and sitting on the patio because you want a little sun.  How nice that Rita can do that – just step outside and find your favorite chair. Get up and go in when you've had enough sun. One can do that when one lives at home. 

Coincidentally, the following day or so, Penny Cook, Executive Director of the Pioneer Network, posted a piece on Facebook about transforming the culture of aging. She noted that with all of the changes that we have seen, we still have far to go.  One such item Penny mentioned was this: "We continue to build communities without easily accessible areas for people to independently spend time outside."

The present, traditional system of aging services which too many people - who don't live there - are satisfied with because  "they get good care there"  needs to be turned on its head so that getting good physical care is no longer enough.  It must be QUALITY OF LIFE that is the benchmark standard resulting from choice, dignity, autonomy, privacy, relationships. 

It would include easy outdoor access so that all the Ritas who live there could spend time outside independently-- just getting a little sun.


No comments:

Post a Comment