Monday, March 12, 2018

LIFE IN A WHEEL CHAIR

This poem was written by Sister Janet Thielges, OSB and posted on her monastery's website.  https://sbm.osb.org   It speaks for itself and can serve as a wake-up call about some of our unconscious assumptions or biases.

Life in a Wheel Chair
I fell
and injured my back.
I can see, hear and talk
and my mind is as sharp as a whistle.
Ninety.

Wheelchairs.
Bring on changes.
They minimize visits.
“Can anyone who can’t walk, talk?”
Seems not.

Shopping. 
With companion. 
Person I knew came by. 
Greeted only my companion.
Ah well! 

Today.
A gent “gets” it.
“Did she fall?” asked a lady.
“Ask her. She can talk,” said the gent.
I’m real!

I smiled. 
It made my day. 
The wheelchair’s a helpful thing;
but I never stop being a person.
Thank you!

Janet Thielges, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment