Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Old Age as described in the second book of the Macabees

The first reading for today's liturgy struck me so forcefully when I first read it that I just have to share it in this blog.

It's a reading from the second book of the Maccabees (2Mc 6: 18 – 31).  The passage tells the story of Eleazar and his faithful adherence to God's law. Eleazar is an old man; listen to how his age, and the markers of his age - his gray hair and his life experience - are seen as honorable by the writer. I include here only those relevant phrases from the entire reading that describe Eleazar in the context of his age, as "an older".

"Eleazar was a man of advanced age and noble appearance"

"Eleazar had a noble mind, worthy of his years, worthy of the distinction presented by his gray hair and his dignity, and worthy of the admirable life he had lived since childhood."

Eleazar chooses death rather than defy the law:
"If I dissimulated for the sake of a brief moment of life, they would be scandalized by me, and I would bring shame and dishonor on my old age. If I therefore have the courage to give up my life now, I will show myself worthy of my years, and I will leave to the young a noble example of how to die willingly and gracefully for the sake of the holy law that we hear."

What new insights about the honor of life's later years might we gain by reflecting on Eleazar’s conviction that only when he shows himself ‘worthy of my years’ will he leave a worthy legacy?

Perhaps as an exercise probing our own internal ageism, we might ask ourselves, “How often is my first impression when seeing a person with gray hair that s/he is worthy of distinction by that very presence of gray. What makes me want to hide my gray hair?

"Eleazar had a noble mind worthy of his years."  Do we believe, really believe that wisdom resides within our elderly?  Is that conviction reflected in policies and daily practices? Or do we, in effect, segregate our elders in some ways from the larger community so that their presence and voice are not available?

No comments:

Post a Comment