Friday, August 5, 2016

Making Connections

©  Imelda Maurer, cdp

As I write this, it was two days ago to the hour that we gathered for the final session of the Pioneer Network Conference, our luncheon and its stirring program.  Since my return, I've been doing the mundane tasks of getting back into my routine as well as addressing some issues with short deadlines. 

At the same time, I'm aware that I have several business cards here on my desk, indications of new connections  I made at the Conference.  I'll do more than just adding this data to Outlook.  I'll be in touch with these new-found common-visioned colleagues.  I've also been  mulling over my experiences at the Conference and, as at every conference, I came home with ideas about how to implement some of my "what if", some of my "why can't . . . " visions.  There are two projects I will work to implement this coming year.

A CNA who was at the Conference has already reflected on one experience that provided a clear connection between what she heard at the Conference and how it applies to her work every day as a CNA.  The following is the core of what Yang writes in reflecting on a conference experience:

This really is “what it’s all about.” A person centered environment means that as we approach and respond to our elders, we pick up on the cues that provide us with an awareness of how they as individuals are perceiving the situation and use this as the context for our interaction with them. An unhurried and indirect approach with a light touch creates an atmosphere of cooperation and reassures our elders that they are in control.

The full entry can be accessed here.

The investment of time and money involved in participating in a national conference is totally wasted if new ideas learned are not put into practice back at home.  Does your organization  have and implement a policy about staff bringing back conference ideas and insights?  Is there an expectation that these ideas will be shared with staff and stakeholders?  Fiscally, it is just being responsible. Ethically, I believe we are morally impelled to act on what we know helps to move from INSTITUTION, even if it is a "loving institution", to HOME.






No comments:

Post a Comment