Wednesday, August 17, 2016

I Can't Abide It!

© Imelda Maurer, cdp   

I'm in a "red hat" mood as I write this morning -- the 'red hat' indicating that part of my personality that instinctively reacts with strong emotion to issues/events I consider valuable or important.

The issue is about how aging is too, too often presented to Sisters.  As a gerontologist, I studied the aging process and the various theories of personality development.  What I know about aging is rooted in a solidly grounded knowledge base, affirmed by my own experiences as a woman in her eighth decade of life.

The women in whose circle I am so honored to be a part are characterized by their life of selfless service to others.  They want to do good; they want to be good.  If and when they are given directives on how to be good -- and I refer specifically to the issues around aging -- if the words come from another Sister, those words, validly or not, are empowered with a special credibility by the audience.

My most recent exposure to such a presentation to elder women and men religious held the same familiar pessimistic view of aging only as an experience of loss and decline.  The spirituality suggested is that of "letting go".

We experience loss throughout the life cycle. Losses are not experienced for the first time when we leave "active ministry".  We do not have to learn -- for the first time -- how to deal with loss when we are in our later years. This concept and lived reality merits its own chapter!

Aging does not always bring physical or cognitive disability. Additionally, how we age is uniquely individualized. When we generalize otherwise, we are guilty of ageism.

I groan for my Sisters when I become aware of common presentations on "aging and spirituality" because
---  "letting go" is only half the story
---   "letting go" is not an experience unique to our later years; and
---    because spiritualizing myths and negative biases about aging does not provide a solid foundation of spirituality,
---   this false foundation does not reflect the God of Mercy, Compassion and Abundant Providence who planned the whole of life for those so cherished by the very action of creation.

As I listened to the address I'm referring to, I had to take a break and view something that shows an entirely different picture of aging.  I've had this clip on my blog before, but I think it is so affirming of the other half of "letting go" that I  share it again.  It is an ad for women's health, but it is so marvelous in presenting so many qualities of life in our later years.

Treat yourself to this one minute clip here

No comments:

Post a Comment